Saturday, December 24, 2011

Day 1, My Soul is Fearless!

Costa Rican adventure day one:
I am sitting here with my local organic coffee eating fresh local pineapple, mango, (my favorite), banana, and watermelon. The breeze is light but consistent, so many different birds singing their tunes, I wonder if they know how in harmony they really are. The howler monkeys are can be heard for miles and their calls are super intense. Sitting parrell with the ocean, the coast line and the jungle stretch as far as the eye can see. Not a bad set up uh?!
Add caption
The propeller flight in from San Jose was challenging for me to say the least! I got to sit up front with the pilot, perks of traveling alone and being petite! The ride only took 30 minutes and was stunning, flying in and out of the puffy clouds hovering above the jungle. Stepping off the plane in Nasora the first thing noticed was the temperature increase from San Jose, 15-20 degrees warmer! That heat is what I was looking for, this girl does not care for being cold! The ride I had arranged was not there, no need to panic, or at least I felt no need. A very friendly yogi, the only one left in the tin building resembling a bus stop known as the airport approached me and asked if I happen to be traveling to Blue Spirit. Yea, I now then our sweet driver with the kindest eyes arrived. The universe/God sent me just what I needed to continue releasing my fears of traveling in a 3rd world country! Cruising down the dirt roads weaving in and out of motorcycles, dads carrying their young while riding bikes, and women carrying their baskets on their heads. Horses and cows roam freely and the houses are made of tin and scrap wood. Everything holds such beauty and simplicity. 






As our kind eyed driver attempted to pass a motorcycle the engine begun to sputter out. Little by little we came to a complete stop. After attempting a few restarts with no luck, I look back at my friendly yogi and we grin to one another. We both had a look of confidence and faith, we knew we would get to where we needed to be safely but we were BOTH very happy to have one another! He grabs his tools and gets to work! “How fun” we say! He is apologizing the best he can with his broken English and we are laughing our asses off and taking pictures. The people are zooming by and dust from the road fills the warm air. NO luck with the wrench.. A passer by stops and our friendly driver says to us yogis, “You be ok 5 minutes?” Of course, caught off guard, I say, “You mean leave us here?” The driver says, “You be ok.. 5 minutes!” Without having the time to answer he hops on the bike and rides off.. Well, alrighty then!! I grab my mace out of my bag and we sit on the back of the van joking about our situation. She comments how lucky she felt to be with someone as calm as me in a situation that could of called for some major freaking out! A few passer by’s stopped in curiosity but all in all we were just two yogis in the middle of NO WHERE, chillin. The driver returns with gas, still no luck! A friendly man stops to help and attaches the van to his truck by rope. He takes off pulling the van, with our stuff, (passports, cash, credit cards, YOGA MATS!) We first stand there, look at each other, and yes, we laugh!  How awesome is this we say! We thought maybe we ought to start out on foot and chase the van down, so we did just that. We walked about half a mile and then saw our van in reverse coming down the dirt road to get us. At last, at last, free at last!! My new yogi friend says, “What a great way to lock in a friendship!”




Arriving at Blue Spirit was like taking the biggest inhale ever imagined, so happy to be in heaven. Lunch was first on my list! Yummy, Yummy, Yummy to my tummy!
I spent the afternoon by the pool, roaming around with my camera and then settled in on the beach picking up shells. At this point I am just trying to let it soak in that I was as far south/west as I could possible be, alone. Completely alone! A very connected, powerful feeling for this little girl. So humbled and grateful for every ounce of this experience. 
The sun is nearly setting and the breeze from the day has dropped to a cooler temperature, kissing the skin, leaving a soft chill behind. I am watching the hermit crabs carry their dinners and preparing shelter for the night. As the tide gets higher the ocean mist hovers above, creating a beautiful glow as the sun drops. In this stunning moment of complete presence, there is no fear, all fear has dropped away. No fear exists in a raw present moment. When fear creeps in you have dropped back to the ego, the past, or anticipating the future. Think about all fears or anxieties you may have, most likely they all stem from a previous experience, conversation, idea, exc. This is very true for me. I spent several years of my younger life in fear due to very inappropriate behaviors towards me from a family member, and the rest of it in fear of the unknown due to an alcoholic father. This is all okay with me. I see it as a beautiful piece of my story and it is all part of what has gotten me to where I AM. But, these events have left sub-conscience fears deep inside me. I can choose to be a victim, or I can thank those that have shared with me, remember that each soul is doing the best they can with their level of awareness and then do what I fear most. Transforming my fears to LOVE. 

Add caption
If you cut each of our souls open you will see rings of life in each of us, like a tree, telling our stories. These rings aren’t who we are, rather just a beautiful part of our story. Grow your roots deep into the earth to be grounded, but then soar your branches toward the stars and never look down. Trust that your roots are solid and continue evolving! 

Today, my soul is FEARLESS. 

No comments:

Post a Comment