Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Affirmations Day 3: Compassion

I can remember meeting "Loud mouth John" on my camping trip over the summer. He was in his 70's and ornery as hell. He had amazing stories and had much to say about the condition of the USA. As soon as I settled into the site I heard live music being play from across the campsite. It instantly reminded me of the music my papa and dad used to play, it pulled on my heart stings big time! The old Jennifer would of listened from a distance but, no, not in this new story I am writing! I walked right up to their campsite, alone mind you, and stood there with teary eyes and a big grin as 4-5 souls play there guitar, banjo, and violins while supper was cooking.. During a conversation with John I reached out and touched his hand, he looked up at me with a shocked look on his face as if he hadn't been touched like that in years and said, "What are you doing, I knew you were special from the start." It is in my opinion that reaching out to touch someone SHOULD be normal.. So LETS make it normal! Touch someone today, even if just with your soul.

I spent the next two days listening to their sweet tones and even better stories while the kids ran around between us. I took what could of been a quite weekend in northern Cali to an opportunity to bond with others, listen without having the need to responded and took a piece of their compassion towards me and tucked it away in my heart!


Todays affirmation is Compassion: I will see a stranger today through the eyes of compassion. I will remind myself that this stranger has parents that love them just like me. This stranger has moments of joy, anguish, and suffering just like me. This stranger will go through illness and recovery. This stranger will grow old and die, just like me. Through the eyes of compassion I will no longer know this person as a stranger yet a loving soul, just like ME.

No comments:

Post a Comment